FOOTSTEPS OF BUDDHA
Highlights of tour
✔ Belur Math & Dakshineshwar Kali Temple
✔ Visit the Stupa and the various monasteries, Mahabodhi temple
✔ Explore the Rajgir city from Bodhgaya
✔ Early morning and evening boat ride on river Ganges in Varanasi
✔ Explore Sarnath from Varanasi
✔ Ride like local on train from Lucknow to Agra
✔ Visit Taj by dawn (with first ray of sun)
✔ Cycle rickshaw ride in Delhi
✔ Best price guaranteed
Day 01: Arrive Kolkata (By International flight)
- You will arrive today at Kolkata international Airport. After clearing immigration and other formalities at the airport you will be met by our representative at arrival hall terminal where you will find many people paging for their guests. Out of them you will find our representative holding a placard with your name written on it. He will assist and escort you to your vehicle.
- Post warm welcome, you will be transferred to your hotel, where our representative will complete all check-in formalities and handover the room keys to you.
- The rest of day will be at leisure for independent activities / overcome Jetlag
Day 02: Kolkata
- After breakfast proceed for full day city tour.
- Visit to Flower Market, drive pass Howrah Bridge and proceed for an excursion to Belur Math, Dakshineshwar Kali Temple.
- On your way back to Kolkata visit College Street Book Market, Indian Coffee House and Kumhartoli.
Day 03: Kolkata – Bodhgaya (By Domestic flight)
- Enjoy the breakfast at the hotel and later you will be transferred to airport to board the short flight for Bodhgaya.
- Upon arrival, met and transferred to your hotel for check-in.
- Later proceed to visit the Stupa and the various monasteries, Mahabodhi temple built by Ashoka the Great in 3rd Century BC One can visit the Sacred Bodhi tree as well.
Day 04: A day excursion to Rajgir and Nalanda from Bodhgaya
- Post breakfast proceed for a full day excursion to Rajgir capital of 6th century Magadha empire. It was revered site of Buddhas discourses. Buddha spent many years here. Visit Gridhrakula, Sapataparni cave, Ajatsatru fort and Venuvana. Later also visit Nalanda – the world’s oldest university founded in the 5th Visit monasteries and temples with impressive Buddhist & Hindu images. The Institute for research into Buddhism and Pali literature which houses rare manuscripts is also worth visiting for the enthusiasts. Archaeological musuem is also not to be missed for the rare collections.
- After visit return back to Bodhgaya for an overnight stay.
Day 05: Bodhgaya – Varanasi by surface (5 ½ - 6 hours)
- Breakfast at hotel.
- Post breakfast proceed to oldest living city “Varanasi”. Arrive and check-in at your hotel
- End your day with visit to Sarnath, which is a major Buddhist center in the world.
Day 06: Varanasi
- Very early in the morning you will take a boat ride along the bathing ghats on the Holy River Ganges. At sunrise, the Hindu faithful flock to the river to cleanse themselves of their sins. You see the cremation ghats and the Deswameedha ghats. To die in Varanasi is to end the Hindu cycle of re-birth, thereby making it a popular place to end one’s life. After sunrise you will visit some of the temples in the surrounding area.
- The return from Ghat to hotel will be via narrow streets with your guide and you will have an opportunity to witness the real India on roads.
- In the afternoon, you will be taken for a walk in the old lanes of Varanasi city.
- Later witness the Aarti ceremony on the banks of river Ganges and also enjoy the boat ride in the late evening.
Day 07: Varanasi – Kushinagar by surface (6 ½ - 7 hours)
- Early breakfast at the hotel.
- Later drive to Khushinagar. Arrive and check-in at the hotel.
- Afternoon proceed for sightseeing tour of Kushinagar. Visit Ramabha stupa which stands on the spot where the body of the Lord was cremated. Also visit Natha Kumarka Kot enshrining the large recumbent figure of Buddha in the state of Nirvana
Day 08: Kushinagar – Lumbini (in Nepal) by surface (4 ½ - 5 hours).
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Morning visit Mahaparinirvana Temple (where Buddha took his last breathe) and Rambhar Stupa (cremation site of lord Buddha).
- After lunch drive toward Lumbini in Nepal. Kindly obtain double entry visa for India & single entry visa for Nepal). On arrival, check in at hotel.
Day 09: Lumbini – Sravasti by surface (4 ½ - 5 hours).
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Morning visit Lumbini the place where Buddha was born. An ancient shrine with an image representing the nativity of Buddha is still preserved.
- Later continue your drive to Sravasti. On arrival check into Hotel
Day 10: Sravasti – Lucknow by surface (4 – 4 ½ hours) & Lucknow – Agra by train (express train).
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Morning visit Sravasti (Sahet-Mahet), capital of the ancient Kingdom of Kosala, an active centre for Buddhism.
- Later drive to Lucknow railway station and board the evening express train for Agra
- Arrive Agra, met and transfer to hotel for an overnight stay.
Day 11: Agra – Delhi by surface (4 – 4 ½ hours) & Departure from Delhi by International flight
- Wake early to visit Taj at Dawn. No words can define the beauty of Taj with first ray of sun
- Return to hotel for breakfast and check-out. Later visit Agra Fort.
- Post visit drive to Delhi international airport. On arrival check-in for international flight.
End of tour
PS: If required, we can arrange a day use room or dinner in Delhi before international flight back home. Please discuss the same with your holiday consultant